REI Hybrid Bike Review: Exploring Performance and Value
REI, which stands for Recreational Equipment, Inc., is a United States-based retail corporation organized as a consumers' cooperative, selling outdoor recreation gear, sporting goods, and clothing. The company was founded in 1938 by Lloyd and Mary Anderson in Seattle, Washington, and it has grown to operate retail stores in various locations across the U.S. as well as online.
In terms of biking, REI offers a wide variety of bikes, including road bikes, mountain bikes, electric bikes, and hybrid bikes.
Hybrid bikes are a cross between road bikes and mountain bikes, offering the speed of a road bike with the sturdiness and durability of a mountain bike.
They are ideal for commuters and recreational cyclists who want a versatile bike that can handle a range of different terrains.
REI has been involved in the hybrid biking industry for several years, selling a range of hybrid bikes from various manufacturers.
The company has also developed its own line of hybrid bikes under the Co-op Cycles brand, which was launched in 2017.
Co-op Cycles offers a range of bikes, but its hybrid bikes, in particular, have been recognized for their quality and value.
The history of hybrid bikes at REI mirrors the evolution of the hybrid bike itself.
As more people began to seek out bikes that could handle a variety of terrains without sacrificing comfort or speed, REI responded by offering a variety of hybrid bikes to meet these needs.
As biking technology has advanced, so too have the hybrid bikes offered by REI, with modern models featuring advanced gearing systems, lightweight frames, and other features designed to enhance performance and comfort.
The REI Hybrid Bike CTY 2.1 and Step Through Review
The Co-op Cycles CTY 2.1 Bike and its Step-Through variant, brought to us by REI, are premium examples of hybrid bikes designed for urban cycling.
These bikes strike a perfect balance between comfort, performance, and versatility, tailored to meet the demands of city streets and light trails. Built with an aluminum frame for lightness and durability, a front suspension for smooth rides on bumpy roads, and a comprehensive Shimano drivetrain offering 16 gears, these bikes are equipped to handle a wide range of riding conditions.
And with an impressive hydraulic disc brake system, riders can rely on consistent stopping power regardless of the weather.
All Bike Reviews
Whether you're commuting to work or enjoying a leisurely weekend ride, the CTY 2.1 series offers a seamless integration of features for an optimal cycling experience.
In this review, we delve deeper into the specifics of these bikes, unpacking their features and performance to help you decide if this is the right bike for you.
The Co-op Cycles CTY 2.1 Bike and its step-through counterpart are hybrid bikes offered by REI. Here are the key features and specifications for these bikes:
- Frame: These bikes feature an aluminum frame, which provides a good balance of strength and lightness. The step-through version offers a lower crossbar, making it easier for riders to mount and dismount.
- Suspension: Both bikes have a front suspension with an SR Suntour Nex DS fork. The fork travel is 63 millimeters, which should provide ample shock absorption for a comfortable ride on various terrains.
- Drivetrain: These bikes are equipped with a Shimano 46/30T crankset, Shimano Altus 8-speed Rapidfire shifters, a Shimano 2x front derailleur, and a Shimano Altus rear derailleur. The rear cogs are Shimano Altus, 11-34T. Overall, this setup provides 16 gears, offering a versatile range for different riding conditions.
- Brakes: The bikes feature hydraulic disc brakes, specifically Tektro HD-M275 hydraulic disc brakes. These provide reliable stopping power in various weather conditions.
- Tires and Rims: Both bikes come with 700c wheels, which are common in hybrid bikes for their balance of speed and comfort. The tires are Kenda Kick-Back, 700c x 40 mm with reflective sidewalls, providing good visibility for safer rides.
- Weight: The weight of the CTY 2.1 Step-Through Bike is 32 lbs, 9oz. The weight for the regular CTY 2.1 Bike was not provided.
Both the Co-op Cycles CTY 2.1 Bike and the Step-Through version are priced at $799.00. They can be purchased directly from REI, either online or in-store.
What type of bicycle is the Co-op Cycles CTY 2.1?
The Co-op Cycles CTY 2.1 is a hybrid bicycle, ideal for commuting in urban areas. It is also suitable for both male and female riders.
What are the specifications of the Co-op Cycles CTY 2.1?
The Co-op Cycles CTY 2.1 has a wheel size of 700c, a Shimano Square Taper bottom bracket, and a weight of 31 lbs. 2.4 oz.
It features Co-op Cycles rims, front suspension with a fork travel of 63 millimeters, Tektro brake levers, Kenda Kick-Back tires with reflective sidewall and measurements of 700 x 40mm.
Additionally, it comes with a Feiman semi-integrated headset, Shimano Altus Rapidfire shifters, Tektro hydraulic disk brakes, KMC Z8 chain, 6061 aluminum handlebar, and a Shimano 46/30T crankset.
What features does it offer?
The Co-op Cycles CTY 2.1 offers several notable features including:
- A shock-absorbing fork, hydraulic disc brakes, and a 2 x 9 drivetrain for comfortable and safe city riding.
- Ergonomic grips and a riser handlebar that support the rider’s hands and reduce strain.
- A relaxed geometry that optimizes visibility, steering control, and comfort by ensuring the rider is in a completely upright position.
- A suspension fork that smooths out rough roads, offering 63mm of travel, and can be locked when not required for increased control.
- An aluminum frame and some reflective parts to enhance visibility.
- Room for a rear rack and fender, though these have to be bought separately.
- Braze-ons for adding a bottle cage and attachments like kickstands and fenders.
What are some positive reviews of the bike?
The Co-op Cycles CTY 2.1 has received positive reviews for its comfort, affordability, quick acceleration, speed, attractive design, and tire grip.
Reviewers also praised its smooth shifting and superior craftsmanship, which allows riders to monitor their gear.
Its seat is also noted to be very comfortable, and the bike's reflective components enhance visibility.
What is the design and aesthetic of the REI hybrid CTY 2.1?
The REI hybrid bike, the Co-op Cycles CTY 2.1, is a prime example of an aesthetic blend of function and form.
This bike is not only ideal for commuting in urban areas, but it also has significant aesthetic value.
Its design is reflective of both its performance capabilities and its stylish appeal.
The bike can be ridden by both males and females, and it should be love at first sight for any rider; the light seat, awesome tires with grip for days, and great reflective color coordination should leave you feeling confident and comfortable.
The bike's aluminum frame adds to its sleek look while also ensuring durability and lightness.
Notably, some parts of the frame are reflective, enhancing its visual appeal and visibility during low-light conditions.
What is the performance of the REI hybrid bike CTY 2.1, including its top speed, handling, and climbing ability?
When it comes to performance, the Co-op Cycles CTY 2.1 bicycle truly shines.
Its acceleration is very quick when you start cycling, and despite its weight, this bike is extremely fast and maintains impressive speed. The bike's handling is also remarkable.
It features ergonomic grips that support the rider’s hands while offering comfort.
Additionally, the bike comes with relaxed geometry that ensures the rider is in a completely upright position, optimizing visibility, steering control, and comfort.
The bike's 2 x 9 drivetrain and 16 gears that shift seamlessly ensure that the rider can enjoy riding in different grades and terrains, including uphill climbs.
Furthermore, the bike's hydraulic disc brakes provide great stopping power, ensuring performance is maintained regardless of weather conditions.
How comfortable is the REI hybrid bike CTY 2.1 to ride? What are its ergonomics and ease of use?
Comfort is a key element of the Co-op Cycles CTY 2.1 bicycle. It is described as shockingly comfortable, which largely results from its shock-absorbing fork that makes bumpy city roads much less of an issue.
Its light seat also contributes significantly to the overall comfort of the ride.
The ergonomics of the bike are designed to support the rider’s hands while still offering comfort.
The rider’s hands are put in a natural position using the riser handlebar to reduce strain.
Additionally, the relaxed geometry of the bike ensures that the rider is in a completely upright position, further enhancing comfort during the ride.
The bike is designed to be easy to use, with a 2 x 9 drivetrain and 16 gears that shift seamlessly for a smooth ride in different grades and terrains
How durable is the REI hybrid bike CTY 2.1 and what is the quality of its build?
The Co-op Cycles CTY 2.1 bicycle is built to last with its sturdy and durable aluminum frame.
The quality of the bike's build is exemplified by the components it offers, including Tektro brake levers, Kenda Kick-Back tires, a Shimano Square Taper bottom bracket, a Shimano 46/30T crankset, and Co-op Cycles rims.
These high-quality components contribute to the bike's durability and its ability to withstand the wear and tear of regular use.
The bike's weight of 31 lbs. 2.4 oz further indicates its solid build, and the suspension fork with 63mm of travel can smoothen rough roads, which adds to the longevity of the bike by reducing the impact of harsh conditions on the bike's structure.
What are the features of the Co-op Cycles CTY 2.1 Bike?
The Co-op Cycles CTY 2.1 Bike is ideal for commuting in urban environments. It's designed for both males and females, providing comfort and aesthetic appeal.
Key features include:
- Shock-absorbing fork, hydraulic disc brakes, and a 2x9 drivetrain for handling bumpy city roads.
- Light seat, awesome tires with excellent grip, and great reflective color coordination.
- An aluminum frame, with some parts being reflective for enhanced visibility.
- Ergonomic grips that support the rider's hands while offering comfort. The riser handlebar positions the rider's hands naturally to reduce strain.
- The bike features relaxed geometry that ensures the rider is in a completely upright position for optimized visibility, steering control, and comfort.
- The bike has 16 gears that shift seamlessly, which can be helpful when dealing with different grades and terrains.
- A suspension fork that offers 63mm of travel for smoother rides on rough roads. When the suspension isn’t required, the rider can increase control by locking it.
- The bike comes with room for a rear rack and fender, although these need to be bought separately. It also includes braze-ons for adding a bottle cage and allows for attachments like kickstands and fenders.
- Other technical details include a wheel size of 700c, a Shimano Square Taper bottom bracket, a weight of 31 lbs. 2.4 oz, Co-op Cycles rims, front suspension, fork travel of 63 millimeters, Tektro brake levers, Kenda Kick-Back tires with reflective sidewall and measurements of 700 x 40mm, Feiman semi-integrated headset, Shimano Altus Rapidfire shifters, Tektro hydraulic disk brakes, KMC Z8 chain, 6061 aluminum handlebar, and a Shimano 46/30T crankset.
The REI Co-op Cycles CTY 2.1 bike has several features for safety, comfort, and performance:
- Shock-absorbing fork: This helps handle bumpy city roads, providing a smoother ride and reducing the risk of losing control due to uneven surfaces.
- Hydraulic disc brakes: These brakes provide reliable stopping power, essential for safe riding in various weather conditions and traffic situations.
- Reflective sidewalls on tires and frame: Some parts of the frame and the tire's sidewalls are reflective, enhancing visibility for safer riding in low-light conditions.
Extra Features and Accessories:
- 16 gears (2 x 9 drivetrain): These allow for seamless shifting and adaptation to different grades and terrains.
- Suspension fork with 63mm of travel: This feature can smooth out rough roads and can be locked when it's not required for increased control.
- Ergonomic grips and riser handlebar: These components reduce strain by placing the rider’s hands in a natural position, enhancing comfort and control.
- Room for rear rack and fender: The bike design allows for the addition of a rear rack and fender, although these must be purchased separately.
- Braze-ons for a bottle cage: The bike comes with braze-ons, making it easy to add a bottle cage and other attachments like kickstands and fenders.
It's also described as a highly customizable hybrid bicycle that's great as a commuter bike but also functions well as a weekend fitness bike.
REI CTY 2.1 Customer Reviews
The Co-op Cycles CTY 2.1 is a hybrid bike designed for urban commuting. It's praised for its comfort, speed, and ease of use.
It comes equipped with features such as a shock-absorbing fork, hydraulic disc brakes, and a 2x9 drivetrain, making it suitable for both males and females to ride on bumpy city roads.
Its light seat, good tires with excellent grip, and great reflective color coordination are other highlights.
The bike's aluminum frame has some reflective parts for enhanced visibility.
The bike also has ergonomic grips to support the rider's hands comfortably, and a riser handlebar that puts the rider's hands in a natural position to reduce strain.
Its relaxed geometry ensures the rider is in a completely upright position, optimizing visibility, steering control, and comfort.
Other notable features include hydraulic disc brakes, 16 gears, a wheel size of 700c, and a weight of 31 lbs. 2.4 oz. It has room for a rear rack and fender (purchased separately) and can be customized according to the rider's preferences.
The CTY 2.1 is also equipped with a suspension fork offering 63mm of travel, which can be locked when not required to increase control.
Co-op Cycles Generation e1.1 Electric Bike Review
Priced at $1,499.00, the Co-op Cycles REI Generation e1.1 Electric Bike stands as a well-rated (4.2 out of 5 stars) hybrid designed for recreational cycling.
Equipped with a Bafang 350W Geared Hub motor and a 417Wh removable Lithium-Ion battery, the bike delivers 80Nm of torque.
One full charge takes around 7 hours and the bike can deliver a pedal assist range of 30-40 miles, making it a strong candidate for those planning long recreational rides.
The Generation e1.1 flaunts a step-through 6061 aluminum frame with front suspension and 70 millimeters of fork travel.
With Shimano Altus shifters and rear derailleur, the bike offers seven gears, ensuring a range of speed and power options. Safety is taken care of with Tektro hydraulic disc brakes.
The bike comes fitted with 20-inch Schwalbe Super-Moto-X tires that include puncture protection.
Overall, the Generation e1.1 Electric Bike offers a great balance of comfort, durability, and performance.
Co-op Cycles CTY e2.2 Electric Bike Review
The Co-op Cycles CTY e2.2 Electric Bike, priced at $2,158.93 (originally $2,699.00), offers a step-up in the performance department for urban cycling.
This bike receives high acclaim with an average rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars. The Shimano E6100 250W Mid-Drive motor combined with a 504Wh battery promises to deliver up to 60Nm of torque with a pedal assist range of up to 50 miles.
The CTY e2.2 features a 6061 aluminum frame, Shimano Acera shifters, Shimano Alivio rear derailleur, and nine gears for versatile speed and power management. It has hydraulic disc brakes and rides on 27.5-inch Schwalbe Big Ben tires.
At just 51.9 pounds, this bike promises an efficient and comfortable ride in urban environments.
Co-op Cycles Generation e1.2 Electric Bike Review
The Generation e1.2 Electric Bike from Co-op Cycles, at $1,899.00, targets recreational and urban cyclists alike.
It scores an average rating of 4.1 out of 5 stars, signaling satisfied customers. This bike features a 350W Bafang Geared Hub motor and a generous 672Wh battery, offering 80Nm of torque and a pedal assist range of 40-50 miles.
The bike’s frame is made from 6061 aluminum and is complemented with an alloy crankset. The Generation e1.2 offers seven gears using Shimano Altus shifters and rear derailleur.
Safety is ensured with Tektro hydraulic disc brakes. The bike rides on 20-inch Schwalbe Super-Moto-X tires with puncture protection, delivering a reliable and enjoyable ride.
Co-op Cycles CTY e1.1 Electric Bike Review
Lastly, the CTY e1.1 Electric Bike from Co-op Cycles, available at $1,299.00, is an appealing option for recreational cyclists.
With a favorable average rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars, this bike features a Bafang 250W Direct-Drive Hub motor and a 450Wh battery, providing 45Nm of torque and a 40-mile pedal assist range.
The CTY e1.1 comes with a 6061 aluminum frame and Shimano Altus shifters and rear derailleur offering seven gears.
For safety, it uses Tektro hydraulic disc brakes. The bike rolls on 27.5-inch Schwalbe Big Ben tires with flat protection, providing stability and ease during rides.
Overall, the CTY e1.1 offers a solid package for those looking for a reliable hybrid electric bike for recreational purposes.
Pros and Cons Summary of REI Hybrid Bikes
The range of REI hybrid bikes, including the Co-op Cycles Generation e1.1, CTY e2.2, Generation e1.2, CTY e1.1, and the yet-to-be-reviewed CTY 2.1, offer a host of advantages and a few limitations to consider.
REI’s hybrid bikes are well-equipped, versatile, and cater to a variety of riding styles, but considerations around price, weight, charge time, and suspension should be kept in mind when choosing the right bike for your needs.
Comparison of REI Hybrid Bikes
Co-op Cycles Generation e1.1 vs Co-op Cycles CTY e2.2
Price: The CTY e2.2, with a higher price tag, offers an advanced Shimano motor and better battery capacity. The Generation e1.1, while less expensive, still delivers solid performance with its Bafang motor.
Features: Both bikes offer pedal assist up to 20mph. The CTY e2.2, however, boasts a Shimano 9-speed gear system, better torque, and a higher capacity battery, allowing for greater pedal assist range. Both have a step-through design and front suspension for comfort.
Performance: Review ratings suggest both perform well in their designated best uses. The Generation e1.1 is great for recreational cycling, while the CTY e2.2 excels in urban environments.
Co-op Cycles Generation e1.2 vs Co-op Cycles CTY e1.1
Price: The Generation e1.2 sits in a higher price range due to its superior battery and motor. The CTY e1.1, while more affordable, still provides good value with its specifications.
Features: The Generation e1.2 and CTY e1.1 both use Bafang motors, but the e1.2 has a more powerful motor and larger battery capacity. The e1.2 is a step-through design without suspension, while the e1.1 has a non-step-through frame but features front suspension.
Performance: The Generation e1.2's features make it suitable for both urban and recreational cycling, while the CTY e1.1 is ideal for recreational cycling.
Co-op Cycles CTY 2.1 vs the Electric Bikes
Price: As a non-electric hybrid bike, the CTY 2.1 is more affordable than the electric models.
Features: The CTY 2.1, being a traditional hybrid bike, doesn't have the e-bike features such as pedal assist, battery, and motor. However, it offers great mechanical components suitable for various terrains.
Performance: The CTY 2.1 is a versatile performer, adept at tackling both city streets and off-road trails. It's suitable for riders who prefer pedaling without assistance. In contrast, the electric models provide ease and speed, particularly for uphill terrains or longer distances.
In conclusion, each REI hybrid bike offers distinct advantages. The choice depends on the rider's preferences, needs, and budget.
Given the varying features, prices, and user feedback, the REI hybrid bikes cater to a wide spectrum of cyclists with different needs and preferences.
Co-op Cycles Generation e1.1 and e1.2:
These bikes, with their step-through design, are excellent choices for those who prioritize comfort and ease of use, such as senior riders or those with limited mobility. The Generation e1.2, with its superior motor and battery, would also be suitable for those needing to cover longer distances or challenging terrains with ease.
Co-op Cycles CTY e2.2:
Given its price and features, this model would be best suited for serious urban cyclists or commuters who need a reliable, high-performing e-bike for daily use. Its Shimano motor and advanced gearing system offer smooth and efficient rides, particularly in city environments.
Co-op Cycles CTY e1.1:
This bike is a solid choice for recreational cyclists looking for an entry-level e-bike. It combines the advantages of pedal-assist with a more affordable price point, making it accessible for those new to e-bikes or on a budget.
Co-op Cycles CTY 2.1:
As a non-electric hybrid bike, the CTY 2.1 is ideal for riders who enjoy traditional cycling and prefer a hands-on approach to different terrains, both urban and off-road. Given its affordability, it’s also an excellent choice for those who are new to hybrid bikes or for riders looking for a high-quality bike without the electric feature.
In summary, REI's range of hybrid bikes offers something for everyone. From comfort-focused designs to high-performance models, each bike delivers in terms of quality, performance, and user satisfaction. It’s always recommended to consider your specific needs, budget, and riding style when choosing the right bike.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Are the REI hybrid bikes suitable for off-road use?
Yes, REI hybrid bikes are designed to be versatile and handle a variety of terrains, including off-road trails. However, for challenging off-road conditions, a mountain bike might be a more suitable choice.
2. How long do the batteries last on the REI electric hybrid bikes?
Battery life varies depending on the specific model and usage, but you can expect a range between 30-50 miles on a single charge. The charging time for the batteries ranges from 4 to 8 hours, depending on the model.
3. Are the REI hybrid bikes suitable for commuting?
Yes, models like the CTY e2.2 and CTY e1.1 are particularly suited for urban cycling and commuting, thanks to their pedal assist feature and design.
4. Can the electric components withstand rainy weather?
Yes, the electric components of these bikes are designed to withstand normal weather conditions, including rain. However, it's recommended not to expose the bike to extreme weather conditions or submerge it in water.
5. What does the CTY 2.1 hybrid bike offer since it is not electric?
The CTY 2.1, being a traditional hybrid bike, offers the versatility to tackle various terrains without the aid of electric power. It's perfect for those who enjoy the classic cycling experience and want to navigate both city streets and off-road trails.
6. What maintenance is required for REI hybrid bikes?
Regular maintenance includes cleaning, routine inspection of components, tire pressure checks, brake adjustments, and lubrication of moving parts. Electric bikes require additional care for their batteries and motors, such as proper charging and storage.
7. Are REI hybrid bikes suitable for beginners?
Yes, REI hybrid bikes offer options for all levels of riders, including beginners. Models like the CTY e1.1 or the non-electric CTY 2.1 are excellent choices for those new to cycling or hybrid bikes.